Wednesday, March 15, 2006

What lies beneath...

The painter is due soon, he is going to sort out my house for me(hopefully!!)
I moved here nearly two years ago and most things have gone wrong:

Stupidly didn't realise woman who lived here previously smoked for England and was worse at cleaning then me (and that is really saying something - I don't begin to describe some of the things I found - nose is curling just at the thought...)

doors falling off their hinges (onto my head - twice, if I include the shed whose door fell off in my hands...)

pidgeon coming down living room chimney and making an interesting marble affect on the ceiling..

Toilet workings exploding (slight exaggration there...) and squirting me in the face when I lifted the lid... then my stops cock was behind my dishwasher, so in the midnight hour I had to pull the full dishwasher out of the way and turn off the water until friendly plumber came and replaced the broken plastic thingy (why is it always a plastic thingy that breaks)...

A metal bath with holes in the bottom, several sinks who plugs dont fit - cant understand that, do plastic bungs shrink ?

And the best yet, saw there was some mold in the hall in the summer, cut the paper to dry it out and realised that the side of the bath must have been leaking for years.... Only thing for it was to start removing the paper, and then I found...

And yes it is as bad as it looks, we have 1950's floral paper, orange paint above hand rail and purple below, then paper and then magnolia paint... in some places the orange paint was painted white and then papered over...
Must admit I did remove most of the orange paint, couldn't ignore that for this long, but I have been living with plaster since the summer...
Hopefully by the end of the week it will look half decent and I can put my pictures back on the walls !! Yippee !!!




Back to knitting ....



These were wonderful additions this week, especially as Yarn Harlot's was a pressie :-)
Nearly finished the beaded creation. Things I have learnt : it is easier to side beads in 40's than 100's on yarn, it takes three times as long to unknit as knit, row tension does not work out like I thought when decreasing in a circle.. the pattern works and does not look anywhere near as bad I a thought it would but I would *never* wear it (really dont 'do' hats ...)

1 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

Blimey! Your recollection of horror stories puts me in mind of the Tom Hanks film "The Money Pit".

10:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home