Sunday, November 20, 2011

Auntie Mollie


My dear friend and ex neighbour died today.

She had been in hospital since September, after leading an active independent life for 85 years.

She was presented with a long service farm medal last year, a couple of days before this photo was taken at our wedding. She worked on the land for 60 or 70 years, taking her sons in their pram (with a hot brick to keep them warm), whilst she picked potatoes.

She was a character, she once threw a pair of chickens at a Polish builder. She used to phone me with challenges - 'Dear, have you got a single door handle ?' Yes I did, and I went round and fitted it for her.
We went on adventures, soup & a roll, and then visits to garden centres or craft shops. She had a love of ornaments, I have never seen so many creatures in one garden ....

Sleep well Auntie Moll, now at peace.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Inthesky said...

I am sorry for your loss Sue, Mollie sounded like a true once in a lifetime friend and I am sure you have many happy memories. :) x

5:09 pm  
Blogger suse-the-slow-knitta said...

she sounds like a wonderful person and will be much missed by many, my condolences

7:02 pm  
Blogger Yvonne said...

I'm so sorry to read this, I know how much she came to mean to you and how much fun you had on your outings. Hugs!

10:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a real card and I hope your fond memories of her will help ease the pain.

12:38 am  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

So sad , I know you have great memories and will miss her

5:27 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sorry to hear about Mollie, she sounded like the best neighbour ever.

8:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home