Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Lot can happen in a week....

First I tried to clear up and found an interesting place to store wool - This is a disgustingly painted fireplace in my bedroom and I found some wool hanging out of the chimney - I pulled and the ball appeared.... I've no idea how the ball got up there....

But now I know that the chimney needs sweeping....


Then I got one of these he is called Morris - coz he's a traveller (my Mum had one of them when I was little - the car not he wheel, that is....)




This is Saturday Sky taken in Mid Wales where I went to a meeting of the Spinners, Weavers and dyers.


I decided to stop spinning half way through the afternoon, I thought three bobbins was probably enough for one day !!




And when I got home I found that one of my boys was not well - he had a very bloody face, an abscess had burst on his face...

And while talking to nextdoor about him I nearly fainted, not a good feeling...

He has been to the vets and had injections, and I've been a good mum and put some savlon on his hole, works well for a little while and then he licks it off.... (I didn't think anyone would thank me if I put up a red faced cat picture..)




<


This is the first proper spinning on Morris, after about an hour I've managed to be able to spin thinnish....




I also went on an adventure to pick up some Leicester Longwool fleeces.

And I have a washing production line in the garden (the smell is interesting and the neighbours haven't said anything yet !!!)

First you soak over night is hot water with washing up liquid...


Then you put over some wood and chicken wire.

And put the hose on it to rinse....

When it looks a lot cleaner, leave to dry....







And the following day it might end up looking like this....



















And after a little while with Morris, this is what you get.....

A really nice spin, extra long staple which makes things so much easier ...



And I think I will be blogging more intermittently, too much course work coming up in the next few months.... And then there is the garden, not to mention the knitting that needs catching up on...

And while I think of it, Tina is on the third edge, only another 41 points to go... Promise I will be back when she is finished ;-)

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wondered what you'd been up to! The spinning looks fab and at least the weather's been good for washing the fleece.

8:39 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

You have been busy! The Leicester longwool looks gorgeous and your skeins are good.

8:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're okay - was beginning to think something must have happened to you!

Poor kitty! Hope both the boys are okay. Abcesses are nasty aren't they? MY cat in Oz frightened my half to death with one - thought the whole of her throat had been ripped off - yuk!

Have fun with Morris. :-)

9:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooot, Sue! "Morris" seems appropriate. :-) I haven't yet had the courage (or the weather!) to venture into raw fleece. Fingers crossed for continued improvement on the feline front . . . they do develop those little things now and then, don't they? Sometimes I swear it's just to make certain that we're awake and paying attention . . .

12:07 pm  
Blogger Kath said...

That fireplace looked more like one of those mop buckets with a wringer bit when I first saw it!!
What a good way to fry out your fleeces - must remember that. Poor puss cat hope he's better soon! Enjoy Morris!

5:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I do hope your boy gets better soon. Abcesses can be so nasty.
Your fleece pics are very evocative - no need for smelly-vision!

8:37 pm  
Blogger Woolly Wormhead said...

Blimey, you have been busy!

Hope your boy is feeling better soon.

8:43 am  
Blogger Susan said...

Poor kitty & poor You!!
Hope both of you are feeling much better these days.

Wow, busy, busy. The handspun looks fantastic.

The yarn in the fireplace brings images of your house bursting at the seems with wooly fiber!!!
....Probably not too far fetched I bet??? heheh.

9:33 pm  
Blogger maylin said...

Poor puss, when our cat had one we had to inject antiseptic cream into the hole every day, yuck, yuck and double yuck. they heal quick though. I like your fleece rinsing method, sure beats buckets and buckets of water (though I can water the strawberries with it after). I clipped my goats last weekend so have been going through the same.

Extra good luck with your course work.

8:15 pm  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

My you have been busy :) I'm sure you and 'Morris' will have some fun times together. I llove Leicester Longwool; have you tried Teesdale yet ? Just as long and has the same lustre .
Kath and I were talking about you yesterday !! we were at Colinette :)
Poor puss , do hope he gets better soon

9:22 am  
Blogger gourdongirl said...

I love "Morris". Your spinning is amazing.

Hope your cat is feeling better now.

7:39 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

The poor love. I hope he's better now.

6:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home