Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Dangerous Flowers

For those of you that were wondering it wasn't a typo, I really did put someone in hospital with a flower arrangement... And yes, it could only happen to me!!

The story is long - if you are not interested skip to the bottom where Daffy is...

In small villages when there is a funeral everyone helps out decorating the church. In December I gave my neighbour a lift with all her white flowers.... I did have a sock to knit but she wouldn't let me, instead she gave me the job of arranging flowers.
The container was suspended on a metal tripod, a large glass bowl with a large brim (think old fashioned policeman's helmet upside down)
I stood on a pew (without my shoes on, I should add), the container was 5 foot off the ground.

After a lot of mucking about I got something that looked half decent (I'm not the best arranger). Pampas grass leaves set off the whole thing, and then I filled it up with lots of water (we're talking litres...)

The next day, we get to church early, sit in the back pew as usual and watch as the church fills up and the people stand in the aisle (small church lots of people...)

About ten minutes before the service was due to start there was a huge crash...

'that will be my flowers' said me...
Lots of rushing around (that we couldn't see...)

When the vicar came in she welcomed us and said that someone was hurt before the service and someone would be coming and taking them to hospital....

We later found out that an old gentlemen was sitting down, a lady had turned round suddenly and hit the tripod causing it to fall over. The glass covered three pews, there was blood, water, glass and flowers everywhere...

The family were waiting outside when someone came running out grabbed a towel out of their car and ran back into church.. they weren't told what was going on for a while...

It turned out that the gentleman (in his 80's) had to have surgery, was in plaster for three months, and has had physio....
I cant remember what is was that was severed but it was serious.

The carpet in the vestry had to be cleaned, there was blood everywhere...
Someone put the blood splattered flowers in a different vase (they lasted until Christmas). White chrysants with red blotches - nice !!

And that is the brief story of how I managed to put someone in hospital with a flower arrangement...



And I'm getting fed up of this ... 40 rounds left to do, but each has nearly 800 stitches.

And it takes about 30 minutes for each round - so that is 20 hours more of thin yellow...

I think I will have to get back to my purples and then see if the weekend turns yellow - it doesn't help that I dont like the colour and want to dye it a stronger daffy colour when it is finished...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh that was just chaotic!

Arlene,
Tacoma florist

6:05 am  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

I bet you felt awful!

I like the knitting (I'm presuming its a shawl) but I see what you mean about the colour. It could be a little more vibrant.

I'd love to make something that big but I dont have the patience.

10:22 am  
Blogger Alison said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:15 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

If you can't be trusted with blunt flowers should you have sticks & string? You could garotte & stab someone!

5:18 pm  
Blogger Spinningfishwife said...

It is a pretty pattern anyway. At least you can do something about the colour if you still dislike it at the end!

8:44 am  
Blogger suse-the-slow-knitta said...

good grief! poor ole fella! I always knew there was a reason for not helping out with the flower committee at church, now I have a darn good excuse...

4:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home