Thursday, August 17, 2006

Answers

I thought I would try and answer some comments....

First the way I grow potatoes.

I got the seed potatoes from a Potato Day in Cheltenham - over 100 varieties to choose from.

This is how I chit them, in seed type trays usually placed in my downstairs loo room - cool and not much light...

The last two years I've tried to plant out at Easter.




And these are last years crop planted up.

One tuber per bag, and three in the large buckets. I got the bags from here

I have a friend who has a thing about spuds (probably best not to ask!) but I had to label all the bags and I kept notes on which ones gave the best crops...



Frankie, I do have a spinning wheel, it's a Louet 20 and Diane liked it so much I've been given the task of trying to find a Louet wheel for her - Spinning Fishwife should be proud of me for spreading the word.... Think it will be a while before I become a 'real' spinner though - more of someone who cant resist a bargain !!

Diane's husband is going to make pear wine form the 10kg (!!!) of pears that came off my tree.
I'm going to take them up to her next week when I visit her at work.

And if you are interested in where she works you can see what I'm meant to be knitting now (Mulberry) and what I have actually knit (Willow wide scarf - long than I am tall !!, Willow striped wristwarmers, two cherries all from the arboretum book - my beaded beret and frilly bag didn't make it !!)
I also did the Topaz waistcoat in the Treasure Trove book - And helped by the loveliness of the silk I cast on Thursday night and it was back in the post Monday afternoon.... Oh to knit to a deadline ;-)

There is another book in the pipeline....


The old books came from London in a very heavy box - I had warned the postman a few days before but he doesn't understand. He left them for me to collect from a neighbour's outside loo, he did tell her not to try and lift the box... Just realised that's the second mention of strange things being kept in toilets.... must be something to do with living in the countryside .....


Oh and I'm a Virgo - meant to be very tidy and orgainised - Think I was born at the wrong time of year, and I'm in the middle of the sign .... And I'm one of the most untidy people I know... I've got friends coming to stay next weekend and I need to do some major clearing but knitting is more interesting... and I know I will feel lots better when it is done especially if I mange to get some stuff for a charity carboot on Sunday.....



And for Woollywormhead :-)
When I went into local Countrywide farmers shop last week for some bitumen paint I came out with this instead....

I will try and find some more sheeps for you, but someone has already snapped all that Sainsburys have.... will have to go back to Countrywide and see what logos they have on the food bags (as long as that is not cheating!!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Spinningfishwife said...

Spreading the spinning vibes at Colinette??? *sigh* Life is so unfair......

(I`ll get there one day......)

7:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sheep looks very stratled ! Have you ever grown the oddly named "Pink Fir Apples" which are potatoes in fact? .They are lovely but come out like ginger roots so a nightmare to peel .

8:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops ..typo "Startled"..sound like an old country saying "ah the sheep are fair sratled this day"

8:42 am  
Blogger Piglottie said...

Thanks for the potato info. Living in a ground floor flat with a communal garden thought it would be impossible to grow spuds, but might have to try this next year as have lots of room on our bit of patio. Do you just use compost to fill them?

11:06 am  
Blogger Woolly Wormhead said...

You stole that sheep from my car - he hangs from my rearview mirror! That'll be why he looks startled, being out of the car, being out of London....

5:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home