Monday, August 14, 2006

Books and self pruning



These were in a box waiting for me when I came home on Saturday.







These are mainly from the 1940's, some wonderful patterns.

And the average price of the books, including postage £2.75 !!!

Good job I've got my new bookcases, and they are no where near full.








But this is the only one that had pictures on the front.

I love the boy'sswimmingg trunks with loops for leather belt....

Picture in the bottom middle...






This is the top of my pear tree.

I have thought it looked a bit top heavy for a while, but the weight was too much for it today...
think so far I've lost four branches - the evidence is at the top of the picture, tomorrow it will have a bit more of a hair cut to clean up the breaks, totally the wrong time of year, but needs must.



And these are the pears I rescued.

So what do I do with a box of unripe pears ?

7 Comments:

Blogger Frankie said...

The books look great. You don't say how that box got to your house - the postman, or a guardian angel?
Sorry to hear about the pear tree. Looked in a couple of recipe books for unripe pear recipes but no joy I'm afraid.

7:38 am  
Blogger Seahorse said...

I love those kind of books, they're such a treasure trove of patterns.

I'm pretty ignorant on all things horticultural but I thought pears would ripen if left in a bowl or bag in the house.

9:01 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have several of those 1940's books and also some old Paton's Woolcrafts, and love looking at the old patterns.

11:34 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

The books look fascinating. Would underripe pears make an interesting addition to chutney?

8:49 pm  
Blogger Badger said...

Those books look wonderful!

I'd use the pears in chutney or jam, but they should ripen if you stick em in a brown paper bag. If you want them to ripen quickly then put a very ripe banana in with them, and they'll swiftly soften.

10:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Badger - they'll probably ripen - you can always stick them in the fridge and bring a few out at a time so that they don't all ripen at once.

Or (what we usually do) you can poach them - they won't need any sugar - we usually use either orange juice with crystallised ginger, or a good handful or two of brambles. Both are beautifully sweet and delicious.

8:43 am  
Blogger Rain said...

The books look great.

The pears will ripen if left. They'll also make great wine!

12:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home