Thursday, March 15, 2007

The best ginger cake in the world (allegedly)

According to Sue from New Zealand this is the best cake in the world :-)
For other Skip Northers here is the recipe for my sticky ginger cake - adapted from 'The Classic 1000 recipes' compiled by Wendy Hobson.

100g Marg
175g Golden Syrup
175g Black Treacle
100g Soft brown Sugar (or which ever sort you have in the cupboard)

Melt together (I use the microwave, but you could use a large pan on a gentle heat).

275g Plain Flour
2 tsp Ground Ginger (original recipe used cinnamon...)
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
2 Eggs, beaten
150ml 1/4 pint Hot Water

Mix into the melted mixture - it wont look like normal cake mixture, more pourable and bubbly - if it is lumpy beat it to get rid of flour lumps and make smoother.

Cook at 180 C, gas mark 4 for 45 minutes.

Recipe says it makes 1 10 inch (25 cm) square cake

I did double mixture and it made 6 loaf cakes, baked in foil trays and 1 lb inserts.

It does get stickier if left for a few days (if that is possible !!)


And for those that tried spinning on my wheel, I managed to spin another bobbin this afternoon and plied the very interesting result. It is drying over the bath at the moment - photos tomorrow.

And I have also managed to finish the green socks I was knitting while away.
There has also been progress on the Tina shawl, on round 20 of the border, only another 48 to go before I start on the 96 points on the edging - and the main worry will I get it finished in time for the Christening at the beginning of May (bearing in mind that I will loose over a weeks worth of knitting due to shows and a weekend away) The last round took about 30 minutes, but it is increased by 8 stitches every other round, ending up with 752 stitches (that sounds like an awful lot to me !!)

I got my horrid assignment back today and was amazed to get 58 (a pass is 40) and I got that mark for the first assignment in my health and disease course, a bit spooky !

4 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

I loved spinning on your wheel! Thanks so much for being so patient with my feeble attempt, and thanks for supplying the scrumpy, too. finally got a taste of that last night:bliss!
xx

7:15 pm  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

That's the same recipe I have which came I think out of my Mothers old Good Houskeeping; as you said better if left a couple of days so it goes sticky mmmmmm

10:43 am  
Blogger Rain said...

Well done on the assignment.

Thanks for the recipe, I'm quite partial to a bit of ginger cake

3:47 pm  
Blogger Nickerjac said...

Thank you for posting this, Andy fell in,love withit when I got home and he doesn't even like Ginger cake :)

4:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home