Monday, October 26, 2009

Reasons to be cheerful

There is a new baby next door.
I dont ever knit the smallest size of baby outfit, I think I could have done with these - they might fit him when he is one !!

I was glad to see that I got the colour right as his babygrow matched when I delivered them :-)







There has been lots of knitting over the summer, two jumpers one in my handspun, a tank top, and several pairs of socks.....

But in the last month I have mainly been knitting with thin green


The centre of my wedding ring shawl is complete. I am now on the border, which does not photo well...


I was hoping that I might finish it before the end of the year but have been told that I cant wear green for my wedding which should happen sometime next summer. Yes, I have got engaged to Trig's Dad, and for those that know, I will end up with a silly name (the final frontier, for those that want to guess...)
This is a close up of the centre complete with mistakes that I'm hoping only I can see...



And this is now much of the first ball was left before I picked up for the borders. It is a lovely knit, not as complicated as I thought, especially now I've got the correct number of stitches.
So for my actual wedding shawl I've got some lilac yarn (from Estonia) and think I need some beads... I've been looking at a lot of pattern books and have decided on two of the patterns but cant decide on a border...
Good job I bought some other colours that I can swatch with, and the right border has got to be in one of my many books....


Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why cant you get married in green?
it's a lovely shawl...
IDA

7:45 pm  
Blogger Nic said...

Congratulations Sue!! Wooo. I love a good wedding although my friend is getting married in Oxfordshire Woolfest weekend next year which I'm not too happy about ;)
Why can't you wear green? When I was trying wedding dresses on the woman told me that green was bad luck and no-one in our town would ever have got married in green in years gone by; something to do with them being fishermen. I can't find anything about it on google but it does say;

' Green was always avoided, as it was though to be unlucky. To say a girl 'had a green gown' also implied that she was of loose morals, because her dress would be grass-stained due to rolling around in the fields! Hence 'Marry in Green, ashamed to be seen'. '

LOL. There we are then ;) Congratulations again to you and Trigs Dad.

xxx

8:19 pm  
Blogger Yvonne said...

I know several people who married in green and they are happy marriages - why not?

Your shawl is a heck of a lot further on than mine, think I'm saving it for a retirement project

8:55 pm  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

CONGRATULATIONS Sue!

If you are senstitive about susperstition, then I could see why you might avoid a green dress but would accessories count in the same way?

What bi-colour accessories get you around the problem: so green paired with something else?

* * *

Alternatively, make the other shawl and then just see which one you like the best!

Gx

9:12 pm  
Blogger suse-the-slow-knitta said...

the shawl looks beautiful!

10:19 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

Congratulations! The wedding ring shawl looks lovely, what yarn are you using?

(I got married in green, and we haven't killed each other yet :-) )

9:46 am  
Blogger Probably Jane said...

Congratulations to you all!

I'm sure whatever shawl you decide on will be absolutely stunning.

WIll you be Mrs Kirk? Spock? Uhuru?

3:09 pm  
Blogger Wibbo said...

Congratulations on your news! I say wear whatever you like, but keep fingers crossed and avoid walking under ladders just to be on the safe side ;o) J x

5:36 pm  
Blogger Rosie said...

Congratulations! Oh, and I got married in green, too. Doesn't seem to have done us any harm (Mr Caught Knitting may beg to differ, of course...) I've read that green used to be the traditional colour for weddings in the Middle Ages as it represented fertility. But I like the loose morals part...

Are you really going to be Mrs Space?

6:12 pm  
Blogger Knittings Nice! said...

Congratulations.......the shawl will look beautiful....as yet lace knitting is something that has eluded me...and such a serene green.

10:23 am  
Blogger Helen said...

I wore green to a friend's wedding 33 years ago because I didn't know any better and they're still together and still happy: in fact, I was at her duaghter's wedding on Saturday and I wore teal to that so I suppose I just don't learn. Wear what you like, and congratulations :)

8:29 pm  
Anonymous Georgina (remote knitter) said...

Many many congratulations Sue - I am so pleased that you have found a well-beloved - are you going to be a double barrelled Sue Boldly-Go?
I think green would suit you well and you need not care for superstition - love conquers all.

9:48 pm  
Blogger Gill said...

Sue, what thrilling news!!

Congratulations to you both (all)!

2:13 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home