Friday, July 27, 2007

How I managed to stay dry...

I went away, and missed some of the worse - I also live on a hill so there is no chance of the river getting up this high, but it does make for inventive travelling plans - good job I dont have sat nav the lady would have been shouting at me lots !!!

The rain came down last Friday worse than ever, by the end of the day most of the main routes out were closed. My plan was to go to Liverpool first thing on Saturday, to get to friends for a barbecue... as it was I left mid morning when the M5 reopened.
I'd been checking on lots of websites and thought the A40 through Gloucester would be ok - it is away from river at Ross.... What I didn't realise that it is near the river at Gloucester. I've never seen so many abandoned cars - some facing the wrong way on the duel carriageway...
But there was no water on the road - I still cant believe I managed to get though as it is one of the roads that was still closed yesterday...
I was even more worried when the services on the M5 was shut - people were still camped on the southbound carriage where they had been all night....

The journey up north took 5 hours instead of the usual 3.

I realised it was bad down here when I started to get texts on Sunday asking if I was ok. Looking at the news I couldn't believe how I'd managed to get out when I did - any later and I would have had to stay and miss the funeral.

So what did I do whilst waiting for an afternoon funeral - yes I went to a wool shop.

This is Knitwise in Smithdown Road, Liverpool. If it had been there when I was at school I would have even more stash - just down the road from where I used to have to change buses !!

I was good only came out with a birthday card...






My brother has cats.

They were only sociable when I was packing to leave ....

This one was a bit interested in learning to knit, but not enough to move....








And the girlie cat who took no interest in balls and pointy sticks...











And I had to take Loopy to Penny Lane.

And it wasn't raining !!!!










And this is what has been keeping me amused - variation on the Kauni cardi. Rainbow colours were 60 turns on the ball winder, natural colours were 80 turns, and then joined (split & spit) into one ball.
I stayed up until late last night finishing the body. I joined the shoulders with 3 needle bind off matching the pattern.
I did do a couple of rounds on an arm - think I'm going to join the wool so that I get stripes of the same length as the body...

And while I was in a sale bin at Colinette on Wednesday I met Frankie who was camping nearby... I hope I didn't do too much enabling - look forward to seeing what it will all become...

And now I think I'm going to try and mow the grass, I dont think it has rained yet today..

If anyone is in the Ross on Wye area on Tuesday morning come along to the the Market House - it's the yearly cake sale for Air Ambulance, how many cakes can I make in one day ? This was last years effort...

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

When my husband saw the picture of Loopy in Penny Lane his comment was that you were lucky to find a street sign - they are always being stolen.

Bit silly for me to learn of a LYS from someone who lives down South! Will have to go and check out Knitwise - thankyou!

If you're coming up to visit your brother again do get in touch - we could meet up for a bit of a knit and knatter.

10:07 am  
Blogger Frankie said...

What an amazing coincidence that was - my first visit, and I've got a feeling it was through your blog that I first found out about Colinette.Lovely to meet you - thanks v much for the expert advice. Feeling very pleased with my haul - lovely to have some Colinette yarn sitting at the end of the tent to pick up and play with.

11:45 am  
Blogger Gill said...

No, Frankie, that was no coincidence, since we all KNOW that Sue practically lives at Colinette!!

Glad you stayed dry Sue - it was quite an experience, wasn't it?

3:23 pm  
Blogger maylin said...

So glad you are safe and dry. the news from the UK has been quite shocking.

7:20 pm  
Blogger Rain said...

Thank goodness you were ok through the floods, it looked awful on the news.

Still haven't made it to Knitwise, but I'm trying to cut down at the moment.

9:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home