Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wednesday Weeds


I forgot to take my camera out earlier, and I'm not going to sneeze my way down to the river now...

But I thought I would share a plant growing by my front door.. for some idea of scale the top of the porch must be about 8 foot from the foot of the plant...











And an arty shot looking upwards.

I was going to pull it up but then I thought I might see how high it would grow ( I think it is cow parsley, but I've never seen it so tall...)












And I've got a guard cat, sitting one side of the door. His brother likes to sit in the middle of the door way. This is fat cat, his sickly brother is getting better - another trip to the vets this week for more blood tests. I'm hoping that his thyroid levels will be more normal, his weight is definitely improving...

The weekend was fun filled, lots of people to talk to about all sort of things - Several people wanted to buy Granny's Blanket and some of my shawls... It was a very posh show and the fashions were brilliant to look at.

There has been a little bit of knitting this week, but most of my time has been taken up washing a jacob fleece that I came home with and catching up on sleep ;-)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger TutleyMutley said...

It looks like a hogweed plant? They can grow quite large - up to 2 and half metres http://www.the-tree.org.uk/EnchantedForest/WoodlandFlowers/hogweed.htm

The fleece is all dry - thanks for the assistance and tips. I haven't washed the baby fleece yet - tomorrow, I think.

2:45 am  
Blogger kathryn said...

I think it's cow parsley but it doesn't usually grow so high. TutleyMutley could be right...it could be hogweed. I think they look very similar, different in that the hogweed is much bigger and poisonous. Here's a hogweed link http://www.knotweed.co.uk/pages/ii-hogweed.html

and here's cow parsley
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=115

We've got lots of cow parsley in our French garden and that is so invasive that I'm beginning to wonder if it might instead be a hogweed.

6:52 am  
Blogger kathryn said...

Must add this link for hogweed

http://www.the-tree.org.uk/EnchantedForest/WoodlandFlowers/hogweed.htm

the first hogweed link is the Giant hogweed - a much more ferocious beast ....

7:07 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

'tis too late in the season for cow parsley, m'dear. Love the arty shot and guard cat is very handsome. Hope his sickly brother is on the mend. what did they think of the fleecey smell?

10:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home