Saturday, October 18, 2008

Different Problems

Thanks for all the messages, my ghosts have left me to get on with things for a while, I can usually cope when they visit individually but en-masse is too much !!

I've been busy. I went down to a small village the other side of Cardiff and learnt to spin properly with Ruth from Winghams as a most wonderful tutor. She taught us how to spin fine (and consistent) and thick and ply them together. I can now rescue my badly plied and make then usable yarn (hooray!!)

Then I went down to Ally Pally for a couple of days as a person not working on a stall (even though I did hang out at Knitwitches and Touch Yarns). I was a bit confused but the 'new bridge' I saw in the sky when I drove in along Hanger Lane (we were going slowly, I could read the signs, otherwise I would have just been in London !!) On the way home on Friday night I realised that there were signs for Wembley (we were going even slower) and what I thought was a bridge was in fact the new stadium roof (doh!!).
My journey home was not a good one, I thought it would be a good plan to wait until the local traffic had died down and then get to North Circular and then M4 letting all the traffic go in front of me... Got to M4 without much problem, it was slow but moving... then the trouble started it took me about 2 hours to go 35 miles. Reading services was gridlocked, as was the motorway. I sat and ate M&S food in my car, tried to knit (deep wine coloured yarn in the dark not good idea). 1.5 hours later I left the services, took a while to catch up with the traffic. Saw someone being stopped for hogging the middle lane (I loved those police, they made me very happy!!) and eventually got home at 2am over 7 hours after I left London...
I slept for two days ...


we had a problem yesterday.
I picked up Chivi to say hello to nextdoor over the back fence - we both looked down, saw a hole and missing fur/skin. We had a family outing to the vets.
Goodness knows how he did it, but an inch long deep hole inside his back leg. They made his sleep, stitched him up, woke him up and sent him home.
We have to go back on Wednesday. I haven't looked at the damage properly, but from what I could see while he was backing round the living room trying to get out of the collar (it would have been funny if he hadn't have been panting so much) it doesn't look nice...
So the sickly boy is sickly again, more tablets and got to be kept in (he really doesn't like that bit) His brother is confused that the cat flap just opens inwards and he has to ask to go out... He is not bothered too much at the moment he is asleep on the top of a sofa..

Whilst at the vets I was knitting this - it is a sort of February Sweater (Why is it called a sweater when it is a cardi - I'm confused...)

I lost the instructions for the lace so found another pattern to use - I've nearly finished the body, if I get the chance I might get onto the sleeves later...

I'm known for knitting whilst waiting for Chivi they even ask me what I'm making ;-)




And I cast something else on recently.
Yes - the return of the Wedding Ring Shawl !!

I wont bore you with many photos of this as it is growing, but this is the first half of the first pattern repeat, with stitch counter for scale...

I'm enjoying it and hopefully I can manage to get the central panel completed this year - there are 350 rows of pattern and 6 of garter stitch...


now I really must try and get myself organised for going down to Devon later. If you are near to Bovey Tracey do come and say hello tomorrow afternoon - there will be lots going on, knitting, spinning, crochet and shopping opportunities, and Jane Sowerby with some of her shawls..

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger suse-the-slow-knitta said...

hope the poor cat recovers soon! I love the fact that the vets are used to seeing you knitting and are interested in what you are working on. Great vets!

11:42 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

Oh, poor Chivi. What on earth has he been up to?!

Hope you have a great time in Bovey and that the travelling is far better than your trip back from London was.

1:51 pm  
Blogger Shani said...

Nothing wrong with your spinning as a recall !! Still it doesn't hurt to have some different skeins to work with.

Hugs and hope you are well..
Shani

2:55 pm  
Blogger Jillsknit said...

It's called February Sweater because we're American and we do many things goofy. Anything out of yarn that has sleeves is a sweater. No cardis, no jumpers, no pullovers - just sweaters.

Take care of your baby boy - Bert and Chief send their best.

5:30 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good to see you on Friday sorry that you had such a bad journey home

10:01 pm  
Blogger Knittings Nice! said...

Thank you so much for that link...had never come across it before and theres some gorgeous patterns...also loving your spinning, makes me want to get back to mine...oh well in the meantime....

9:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home