Saturday, October 04, 2008

Please stop messing with my head

I went up north a few weeks ago. I had a day & night in Sunny Southport and on my why back to the Wirral for a birthday party I thought I would stop at Antony Gormley's Another Place.

I'd seen photos of it but never realised exactly where it was.


Many many years ago my Gran was in a nursing home and we used to take her out once a week for a cup of tea (made in the car, in a teapot, not free flowing in the car, that would be silly!) and an icecream. We stopped at a carpark overlooking the river Mersey where there were some loos (just in case).

As I pulled in to the carpark (that has changed a lot in nearly 30 years) The loos are still there, but you have to pay to use them now. I'm sure the coastguard station was there but I cant remember...

This was my first thing of the weekend that rolled around in my head.



I really should have read this sign before going on to the beach !!



Luckily I had my wellies in the car otherwise I would have got very wet feet ;-)








I did have a sock with me, and this was the only man I found that would hold it for me !



I started on the heel flap of the second one this morning..

Much to the amusement of several old dears in the village...








Some of the men had nothing growing on them, whereas others were covered with 'things'



This is one of my favourite faces, having a bit of a bad head day me thinks !!










And a clean man looking out to sea,













And this is what he has just seen, a boat going past the wind farm.



I remember watching lots of ships, getting very bored with the same conversations each week, the smell of tea filling the car (this might be one of the reasons why I dont do tea).

I nearly had a icecream from the van, but thought that would push me over the edge and make me very late...



More photos are here including jellyfish, crabs, footprints...



And then there was the party in the evening. I did have knitting with me but was not allowed to take it out of my bag :-(

It is strange when you meet people that you last saw over twenty years ago at their wedding. Talk went to how the photos are not the same as people had died. The bloke sitting nearest me then thought it would be interesting to see who had the worst count. He could only get to a couple (his wife kept saying, no dear they are still alive...). Then I started counting up, at nine he told me to stop as I was scaring him, the bad thing was that I'd only have been married 16 years this week, and that I dont know what had happened to over half the guests (and there were less than 100) and that most of the nine were family...

Then there was the usual divorce talk... getting into a sleeping bag at 3am, ticking clocks, a long drive home when feeling very dehydrated (I should know that I need to drink a lot of water when travelling..)


All these thought of people that are no longer around has been pulling me down into a deep hole.



I have had some wonderful parcels in the post that have helped. Martha sent me a lovely amazing lace swap parcel from the States..

The tops might have to be spun up as practice tomorrow...




And these have been keeping the postman busy as well...

Ebay is a wonderful place on a Saturday night when there is no one else bidding on old books !

And the lace weight is a well received thank you present.





I do have good things to look forward to this week. The lovely Anne phoned me earlier to tell me about Wingham being in town and Ruth holding spinning classes on Monday - Morris is going on his travels :-)

And then on Thursday & Friday I'm going to Ally Pally. For the first time in years I'm going as a person, not working on any stand (apart from covering for friends if need be). I've got my tickets and show guide and a new camera. Hopefully I will have time to look at the exhibitions and not get too lost on the way (or on the way home - the North Circular is not good if you go East instead of West...)

I also have a car of ferrets (if you see Gill from the Woollyworkshop do ask her why)

And I have been knitting whilst I've been gone - I do have a Wicked jumper, a back of another, and the collar of a cardi, and most of a lace shawl.. I stupidly cast on something that will keep me busy for a long long time, I'm using this in forest green, no photos for a while as there is nothing to see yet (only 8 rows). I really want to try and finish it before I go here

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Sue Krekorian said...

I'll be there those days, too. T'would be lovely to meet you in the real world..... So many opportunities for retail therapy there, it should cheer you up, I hope.

7:11 pm  
Blogger Gill said...

And me, and me!!

Come and say hello Sue - you know where to find me ;-)

9:30 am  
Blogger Nic said...

That knitting cruise looks ace. Enjoy.
Sorry you are feeling a bit down, I hope Ally Pally cheers you up a bit. Just think, you can wander around to your hearts content, not having to be friendly and helpful with a perma-grin on your face all day.
Nic xx

11:14 am  
Blogger suse-the-slow-knitta said...

some people may be gone, but they are not forgotten.
enjoy allypally!

12:35 pm  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Black holes are not a good place to be - glad to see you climbing out.

That cruise sounds fantastic

12:47 pm  
Blogger Nickerjac said...

I am hoping to be there on Friday too so hopefully we will get to wave at each other :)

8:40 pm  
Blogger Joy said...

Sue, I do so hope you are feeling more your usual self. I come from two very large families ( my mum was one of 13, my dad one of 12 ) None of dad's family are left, and all I know is that there is a wonderful choir full of beautiful Welsh voices "up there"

Have a wonderful time at Ally Pally. I have dithered about going and thought shall I/shan't I but have decided not to go.

10:26 am  
Blogger Kath said...

Yes Sue you're right the Coast Guard did/does have an out post by the Hall Road car park - I'm sure it's still there but may be wrong! Great shots of the men with their vegetation - never ventured out far enough to see those ones! Hope you've had a great time at Ally Pally to cheer up up - just think of all those lovely goodies you've had (not jealous really!!). Chin up hon - looking forward to the next report!

8:17 pm  
Blogger maylin said...

(((hug)))

6:04 pm  
Blogger Knittings Nice! said...

Thank you so much for stopping by and your lovely comments...I see by reading your last posting...etc memories...hold them dear.
I unfortunately didn't make Ally Pally this years....mind you still knitting up some yarn from last years...ho hum!

2:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home