Thursday, April 27, 2006

crochet, lace or tatting......

These are some of the things I rescued from my Uncle's. My cousin was going to bin all the cloth things in the house...
I can't work out if they are crocheted (my Grandmother was a crocheter, but her stuff was mainly larger count thread than these).
The lace hankies have silk inside and look really old.




There are four of these, two the same the others have different patterns. Think they are tatted but not sure, they are made of thread the thickness of sewing cotton.




And finally some really bad photos of the baby shawl...

My main problem is that it measures 56inches by 33 inches... but it is now washed and drying on the spare bed that I have made a cat free zone, coz I just know that they would love to sleep on it even when wet....




And a close up of the pattern, and I cant see where I went wrong (and I did in several places).
It is made with Patons Soft Touch DK from stash. Somehow I've still got 500g left of it, think will have to do lots of outfits....baby is due in three weeks and I'm so impressed with myself that I finished it in time :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Seahorse said...

The baby shawl is lovely! Well done on the rescue - it would have been very sad if such delicate and time consuming work had gone in the bin :0

7:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such treasures!

The baby shawl will be valued as such in a few years time. My own attempt at a baby blanket is going slowly

11:20 pm  
Blogger Liia Tammes said...

These doylies are bobbin lace and really fine work. And hard work. Real heirloom. You are luci one to have these.

And I like spring pictures also. I wish here in Estonia also summer could come soon.

Liia

7:20 am  
Blogger susoolu said...

It is all so pretty - lace heaven, old and brand, brand new in that lovely baby shawl.

6:49 pm  
Blogger gourdongirl said...

It would have been a shame if that nice old lace work was lost. It was the kind of stuff we saw at the knitting and crochet guild when we were at SKIPnorth!! Your baby shawl looks great too.
Shona

9:29 pm  
Blogger Spinningfishwife said...

Pretty lace...it would have been a crime to have dumped these in the rubbish!

Nice cuddly blankie for the baby.....my kids all adored their special blankies and reduced them to rags with love over the years. Save some of the spare yarn in case you need to knit up a few emergency pieces in the years to come....;-)

9:55 pm  
Blogger wendy harbaugh said...

top three bobbin lace 4th one needle lace 5th, 6th and 7th looked knitted but I am not totally sure . I do bobbin lace tatting, crochet and needle lace and a little knitting none of those are crochted or tatted if she owned them and did not do that work then they are a gift to her or she bought them which you can still do in certain places.

4:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home